During 1970, Pitbull Dogs were found in England.
Pitbulls are good guard dogs and protect the family of their owners. Traditionally they were used as fighting dogs.
On average, they live up to 10 to 12 years
Types of Pitbull:
- American Pitbull terrier: this is the most favoured dog breed which people prefer to adopt over other pit bull breeds. In the USA this breed is considered the first official breed know by United Kennel Club.
- American bully: considered as one of the most expensive pitbull breeds and nowadays it is more liked by the adopters and its craze among people is increasing day by day. These dogs typically are the by-product of cross-breeding or mix breeding of American pit bull terrier and English bulldogs. Their height ranges from 15 to 20 inches and their weight is about their height.
- American Staffordshire Terrier: Popularly known as Amstaffs. In ancient times this dog was considered a working dog. On average their height is 17 to 19 inches and their weight is on a relative basis with their height.
- Staffordshire Bullterrier: they were first reproduced by the people working coal mines of England. Their weight is comparatively lesser than other pit bull types which are, 11 to 16kgs with a height roughly around, 13 to 16 inches.
Characteristics of pitbull:
- They are very powerful and strong
- Can be trained very easily. Pit bulls are fast learners and can adapt to training very easily.
- Less hair shedding as they have very thin fur and coat around their body, because of this feature, their coat becomes more shiny and attractive. Unlike other dogs, pitbull don’t shed their hairs very frequently.
- Pitbulls are very less prone to diseases like cancer as they have very strong immunity power, resulting in fewer veteran medical expenses, but monthly checkups are advisable.
- Can be classified as the best guard dogs to protect the owners, farms, lawns, and fields.
- If Pitbulls are well trained to socialize with other dogs and small children during their young age, they can be adapted to our standard of living easily. They can be classified as animal-friendly dogs.
- Easily adaptable to Indian Atmosphere whether it is summer, winter, or monsoon period.
- Less maintenance cost, as from a very young age they can be well trained.
- If you want to have more than 2 or 3 dogs, then pitbull will easily socialize with other breed dogs but needs good training.
height : 16 inches to 20 inches
Weight: 14 kgs to 28 kgs
Their body structure is muscular and the coat is shiny but is easy to sustain for a longer period. These dogs are caring, charming and faithful
So, can Pitbulls be adopted by first-time owners?
Certainly not, they should not be adopted if the owner is adopting the dog for the first time. But, if the owner has the willingness to train the dog and thinks of managing their temperament and various other features then they can adopt this dog. It depends upon the choice of the adopter. If the adopter is a second-time dog adopter then pit bulls are good choice than other breeds as the adopter might have enough experience and knowledge on how to train the dogs.
It will be quite difficult for the first-time owner to adopt this breed as they are quite aggressive.
Because of their aggressive behaviour and more dog bites resulting even in the death of the owner has shown that they are banned in most of the countries like, Canada, Brazil, France, New Zealand, Belgium, Denmark, Poland, etc. and when they are losing their temper, they don’t obey the orders of their owner. Many researchers of pit bulls suggest that they should not be banned in many countries as they are unproductive and people mainly believe in rumours and such talks which prove, pit bulls as more aggressive and easily loses their temperament, but if they are given training at their very young age than there are no such barriers in adopting a pit bull.
The price of pit bulls in India ranges from 10k to 80k. Their monthly maintenance cost is also more
Food and Diet:
As this dog breed is muscular and strong they will need more food and enough meat to stabilize their stamina or else they will be lean and weak.
Animal’s meat and protein are considered as the most appropriate diet for pit bulls as it is packed with various nutrients and amino acids in it. Following are the non-veg food products that can be offered to them:
- Fish: fishes are rich in amino acids and carry a good quantity of essential oils, vitamins, minerals, and omega 3 fatty acids. The nutrients present in fish helps pit bulls growth of muscles and that will also give shine on their skin and coat. Salmon, tuna, and trout can be offered in their meals.
- Pork: Vitamins, Minerals, Zinc, Phosphorus are present in plenty of amounts in pork which is very healthy and beneficial for pit bulls. To avoid obesity in your dogs, try them offering pork in less quantity as it contains, saturated fatty acids in it.
- Chicken: We can find the chicken in every corner of the world and they are easily accessible affordable anywhere.
- Fruits and vegetables: pit bulls can get direct, vitamins and minerals from the fruits and vegetables. Here are some fruits and vegetables that can be given in their diet:
- Berries etc.
If pit bulls are kept alone in the house and no family member is present to take care then pit bull might develop depression and anxiety issues and can even destroy the household items. So keep in mind that whenever you are going outside, always accompany pit bulls with any caretaker. If from a young age they are not well trained to socialize with other dogs, they might fight and quarrel with other pure breed or street dogs.
Mostly in pit bulls can get skin-related infections, height problems, and various other cancer diseases.
As pit bulls are aggressive they need a huge place and area to roam about her and there. So if your house has limited occupying space and less area to roam, then it can be troublesome for pit bulls. If your house has a backyard and verandah then they can play and lie down there freely.
During the summer season you can take them to beaches and nearby lakes for a walk and refresh them and during monsoon season take care that, that their skin is not affected due to water droplets.
From their young age make they socialize with other family members, fronds and neighbours so that doesn’t become aggressive and bite others. Rub on their forehead and chest to make them feel comfortable and relax. When they learn new command give them rewards with their favourite food and meals.